Saturday, June 27, 2009

1:06AM

A young woman, in her 20s or 30s, sits on a couch watching TV. It is late, obviously, as all lights are out and the stage is lit only by the light of the television. The sounds of a typical infomercial is heard, chattering away. The woman sits watching, passively. A man enters and sits beside her, takes her hand.

Man
Can't sleep?

Woman
Can't sleep.

Pause. Sound of the infomercial fills the silence.

Man
Have you tried--?

Woman
I've tried. That's why I'm out here.

Man
Sure.

Pause. The Man yawns.

Woman
You don't have to--

Man
It's okay.

Pause. Longer. The man yawns again.

Woman
Seriously, I'm fine.

Man
Are you sure?

Woman
I'm sure.

Pause.

Man
It's just--

Woman
I know.

Man
I have to get up so early.

Woman
I know.

Man
Or else...

Woman
It's okay.

Man
I'd totally stay up.

Woman
There's no use both of us.

Man
I know. I know.

Pause.

Man
Are you sure?

Woman
I'm sure.

Pause; the Man gets up from the couch. Starts towards the bedroom. Stops. Comes back behind the couch, puts a hand on her shoulder.

Man
I love you.

Woman
I love you too.

Pause. The Man goes back to the bedroom. The Woman stays, watching the television. The infomercial blares. Lights fade.

No comments: